Sunday, September 2, 2007

Kulthau's Theory

Kulthau's theory pretty much describes the process that I am experiencing. I picked outsourcing as my general topic, and then as stage 1 (Initiation) says, I realized that I really didn't have a lot of information about it and wondered if I made a bad choice in picking outsourcing. I couldn't figure out where I wanted to actually go with it, but then I finally chose to focus on the effects it will have on my generation in America. After finally narrowing it down, I felt relieved, and as stage 2 (selection) says, I felt optimistic and excited to begin researching. I am currently in stage 3 (Exploration), and am feeling the uncertainties it describes. I am coming across so much information that is useless and also confusing. I haven't come across he last three stages (formulation, collection, and presentation)in this project yet, but from previous experiences, I feel that Kulthau really understands what goes through most peoples' minds when they are researching.

My current information need is pretty much the same as in the last blog I posted. According to Kulthau, in order to fill my information need at this stage, I need to "locate information about the general topic, read to become informed, and relate new information to what is already known." Essentially, I am going to have to dig into the researching part of the assignment.

No comments: